Sash Windows, Casement Windows, and Timber Door Restoration
We share the same desire as you to preserve your home’s beautiful character and charm.
Through traditional techniques and expert master craftsmanship, our team can help you care for your doors and windows effectively.
Our master craftspeople regularly tend to Listed buildings, properties in Conservation areas, and period properties, ensuring all restoration work completed is sympathetic to the building.
Timber Restoration services:
- Sash window restoration
- Casement window restoration
- Crittall window restoration
- Door restoration
- Bespoke sash windows
- Bespoke casement windows
- Bespoke internal and external doors
- Bespoke secondary glazing
All restoration work is completed through traditional methods using like-for-like softwood or hardwood timber. Restoration is completed either on-site, at our workshop, or a combination of both.
Our master craftspeople apply the following traditional techniques and materials to all timber restorations:
- Careful removal of paint, taking all woodwork back to bare timber
- Removal of all linseed putty
- Removal of all decaying / damaged timber
- Crafting of new like-for-like timber sections
- Repair of small areas on timber using linseed putty
- Application of linseed putty around glass panes
- Application of linseed paint or oil
- If the door or window frame is removed and repaired / replaced, we will apply oakum caulk around the timber frame, then apply lime putty between the structure of the building and timber frame
Most modern timber installations involve tradespeople applying the wrong materials, which usually contain plasticisers, such as silicone, mastic, cement, glues, decorators caulk, and chemical-based paints claiming to be breathable. These products are impervious and trap moisture against the timber, causing decay in the timber.
All materials that we apply are permeable and ensure the timber can release moisture naturally. This ensures that all timber, if it is maintained correctly, will outlive us all.
If you are interested in replacing doors and windows rather than restoring, we have a joinery workshop where our woodworking artisans will craft to your specification.